Reposting an old updated recipe favourite.
Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the mother of all fowls…(drumroll!) the ever so popular Butter Chicken!! This is “the” recipe everyone who I know personally have been plotting and scheming to kidnap me for. Bribes have been attempted as well at numerous times😄. Well finally the big secrets out.
My butter chicken does take a wee bit extra time to cook but let me tell you its well worth the effort. Definitely not for the figure conscious though. I usually cook this when I’m expecting guests at home so I can fatten them up so good that they forget when their next invite is due hehe just kidding! 😉 I, on the other hand have been watching my figure for a very long time now….watching…and watching..as it grows!!
1kg Chicken Thigh Fillets
1 Large Onion (chopped)
3 Tbspn Ghee (clarified butter or unsalted butter)
300ml Thickened Cream
4 Cloves Of Garlic (crushed)
1 Inch Piece Of Ginger (crushed)
2 x 500ml Canned Roma Tomatoes (coarsely crushed with fingers)
4 Tbspn Tandoori Paste (I have used Sharwoods brand available at Woolies)
2 Tbspn Dried Methi Leaves (Fenugreek leaves available at Indian grocers)
2 Tbspn Honey
2 Tbspn Yoghurt
1/4 Tspn Lemon Juice
Salt To Taste
Ghee/Butter or Oil for cooking.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and marinate it overnight with the tandoori paste, yoghurt, garlic, ginger and lemon juices.
- In a food processor add the chopped onions and canned tomatoes to make a puree.
- Heat ghee or butter in a pan and add the tomato onion puree. Simmer the paste on low heat settings until you see the oil separate and float up to the top which usually takes up a good 20-30mins. If you find the raw smell of onion hasn’t gone then add a little bit of water and cook further.
- Once the tomato onion paste is ready add the chicken and the rest of the gravy into the pot and allow it to cook for 20 mins or so. Add Salt to taste.
- When the chicken is done add cream and finger crushed fenugreek leaves with the honey (adjust the sweetness to your preference) and give it a good stir.
- Cook further 5mins and serve with fragrant basmati rice or naan.
This dish is best served with rice/naan.