A dish similar to the Fijian Rourou or Dalo leaves cooked in the earth oven “Lovo” underneath the ground wrapped in foil delicately covered with stones and banana leaves. In India the taro leaves are also known as Patra. Mine is an easy peasy simple stove top version. I have used fresh baby spinach but you can use frozen spinach too.
1 Medium to Large Onion
2 Pre- Packaged Baby Spinach
1 Tspn Jeera/Cumin Seeds
1-2 Green Chilli (optional)
1 500g Canned Coconut Milk
3-4 Medium Sized Garlic
2 Tablespoon Oil
Salt To Taste
* Chop onion finely
* Crush the garlic
* Heat oil in pan and once its hot turn stove to low.
* Add cumin first. Once it stars to sizzle and change color add garlic and stir couple of times so it doesnt stick to the pan.
* Add onions and chilli few seconds after that because we dont want garlic to burn as they tend to do so very quickly. It should just release its flavour in the oil.
* Let the onion brown lightly and add spinach. Allow spinach to cook slightly before adding salt because it reduces in size as it wilts once softened. This way you will be able to add the right amount of salt as per the quantity.
* Cook for about 15-20mins on low heat.
* Now add coconut milk and cook further 5mins until done.
This dish is best served with roti or rice and lentil.