A dish similar to the Fijian Rourou or Dalo leaves cooked in the earth oven “Lovo” underneath the ground wrapped in foil delicately covered with stones and banana leaves. Mine is an easy peasy simple stove top version. I have used frozen spinach found in the freezer sections at the supermarket. I try to save myself from the labourous chopping and use pre-cooked and packaged ingredients. You can use fresh spinach too which will be much tastier but if you’re lazy like me then by all means just follow my short cut 🙂
1 Medium to Large Onion
1 250g Packet Chopped Frozen Spinach
1-2 Green Chilli (optional)
1 500g Canned Coconut Milk
3-4 Medium Sized Garlic
2 Tablespoon Oil
Salt To Taste
* Thaw spinach and set aside
* Chop onion finely
* Crush the garlic
* Heat oil in pan and once its hot turn stove to low.
* Add garlic and stir couple of times so it doesnt stick to pan
* Add onions and chilli few seconds after that because we dont want garlic to burn as they tend to do so very quickly. It should just release its flavour in the oil.
* Let the onion brown lightly and add the frozen spinach. Allow spinach to cook slightly before adding salt because it reduces in size once softened. This way you will be able to add the right amount of salt as per the quantity.
* Cook for about 15-20mins on low heat.
* Now add coconut milk and cook further 5mins until done.
This dish is best served with roti or rice and lentil.